News and Updates
Below you’ll find the latest news and articles regarding ICVA and the NAVLE, as well as the most recent ICVA newsletter.
May 22, 2020
NAVLE April 2020 Update
Answering Your Important Questions:
Updated May 22, 2020 at 10:23am
Prometric has notified us of a planned outage scheduled for Sunday, June 7th, from 8am- 2pm EST. This deployment requires a temporary outage of Prometric’s Scheduling and Registration applications. Candidates will not be able to Schedule or Reschedule their exams during this temporary outage. Maintenance pages will be in place during the deployment.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Updated May 15, 2020, at 12:30pm
NAVLE candidates can now test through September 30, 2020. Read more here.
Updated May 13, 2020, at 1:45pm
Here is additional information from Prometric as candidates prepare for the NAVLE.
- COVID-19 Strategies: provides the most current information on Prometric's operation status and safety measures.
- Essential Client Programs List: provides our current list of essential test programs that are currently eligible to test. We will evaluate and update this list on a rolling basis.
- Site Openings List: provides a running list of all of our current open/scheduled-to-open sites and their resumption test date. This list is updated daily to reflect any changes in status, and will be evaluated for further additions on a rolling basis.
- Social Distancing Policies: provides a detailed look at our standard and region-based social distancing policies candidates are expected to follow while at the test center.
- Test-Taker FAQ: provides answers to frequently asked questions candidates might have about impacts to their exam.
Updated May 1, 2020, at 2:30pm
Prometric has added information to their website concerning when sites in the US and Canada are reopening. You can find the information here: https://www.prometric.com/site-openings
We hope this information is helpful to you as you are looking to reschedule your NAVLE appointment.
Updated April 29, 2020, at 11:10am
We just received a notification about a changes to the policies regarding candidate lockers at Prometric centers both domestically and internationally. Candidates will receive a locker key with no color tag and will be instructed they can only access lockers for food, drink, and medication.
Updated April 23, 2020, at 12:34pm
Prometric has updated their Domestic and International Policies at the test centers. You can read the update here.
Updated April 17, 2020, 8:45am
Many NAVLE candidates have asked how the Prometric Testing Centers are responding to the COVID-19 outbreak, and what steps Prometric will be taking once re-opened to ensure examinee safety.
- Depending upon local conditions, some domestic sites may start to reopen on May 1, 2020
- Prometric will be enacting strict social-distancing practices when testing centers reopen. Centers will only use every other seat for testing to provide six feet of distance between candidates.
- In order to implement the social-distancing policies, some testing appointments will require rescheduling. Prometric will notify NAVLE candidates who need to reschedule their appointments.
- Once testing resumes, Promestic test centers will operate at reduced capacity level for 60 days, with evaluations being conducted every 30 days to see if they need to extend these measures out another 30 days beyond the first 60 days.
- Prometric is working to increase days/hours to address capacity issued created by social distancing.
- Prometric testing centers social distancing measures may vary from state to state and country due to any mandated local/regional requirements.
Prometric cleaning policies that will be implemented upon reopening:
- Maintain a comfortable room temperature of 70-74 Fahrenheit (21-23 Celsius).
- Clean monitors and desktops with towel.
- Confirm that nothing was left underneath the monitor or keyboard by previous examinees.
- Tap and brush keyboards, wipe off any stray marks with alcohol wipes.
- Pencils should be freshly sharpened and need to be replaced if they become short or dented/marked, or if the erasers are worn down. They should be wiped down between use by different individuals.
- Clean headsets with alcohol wipes.
- Regularly clean high-touch surfaces (ex. test station keyboard keys, mouse, biometric touchchip device).
- Provide candidates with disposable wipes so that common surfaces can be wiped down before use.
Updated April 10, 2020, 3:10pm
ICVA has just been informed that Prometric is closing all centers in the US and Canada through May 1. If your appointment is currently scheduled for a date in April, please reschedule with Prometric as explained in Section 2 of your NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permit.
All displaced NAVLE candidiates will receive an email from Prometric that their appointment has been cancelled prior to their scheduled test date, including instructions on how to reschedule their appointment on available dates at available centers until the extension date of June 30, 2020.
Please remember, use your Prometric Conformation Number (the number Prometric gave you at the time you made your appointment with them) to reschedule, NOT the scheduling number or the CIN listed on your NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permit.
Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we hope you are all staying safe and well. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email at email@example.com, if you have any questions.
Updated April 9, 2020, 11:00am
Candidates will be permitted to use medical masks and gloves while they are testing. Please note these items will be subject to visual inspections upon entry to the test center.
Updated April 1, 2020, 10:30am
We know you have questions about the upcoming North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) April 2020 Testing Window. Due to various requests our team is fielding, there may be a slight delay as we work to respond. We've also put together answers to many of the questions we've received.
Please keep in mind that because the situation is complex and ever-changing and keeping you and the larger community safe is top-of mind, our plans may change. And if they do, we'll let you know.
We hope that you stay safe and healthy; and thank you for your understanding as we work through this unprecedented situation together.
March 27, 2020, 3:22pm
My Prometric Testing Center is closed for my original exam date. What are my options to reschedule?
As part of the efforts to keep everyone safe during this public health pandemic, Prometric Testing Centers will be closed for various lengths of time, depending on their location and local/national restrictions.
Since these closures continue to impact many NAVLE candidate appointments, ICVA is currently offering two options:
Candidates registered to take the NAVLE during the April testing window can defer taking the test until the November 16 – December 12, 2020 testing window at no additional cost.
Requests to defer the April exam to the November – December testing window must be received via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at the ICVA office no later than 11:59 pm PDT on Monday, April 6, 2020.
Once a deferral request has been made, candidates will remain in the November – December testing window and will not be able to revert back to the earlier testing window. The ICVA will be in touch in June 2020 to help candidates register for the fall testing window.
Please keep in mind that if candidates need to be licensed for practice before January 2021, November – December 2020 scores will be released in mid-January 2021.
Option 2: Updated April 1, 2020
For any April 2020 candidates who have not deferred, ICVA is proactively authorizing an additional extension to June 30, 2020 – meaning candidates now have until that day to take the NAVLE exam. In other words, the original April 13-25, 2020 testing window has been extended and runs from April 13 – June 30, 2020.
Candidates eligible to receive an extension have been notified by ICVA, and will receive a new Scheduling and Admission Permit via email from the ICVA. After receiving the new permit, candidates should work directly with Prometric to reschedule a new test date between April 13 – June 30, 2020 (exact date availability depends on individual Prometric Testing Center availability).
With the extension of the testing window, ICVA is planning multiple score releases.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to change, ICVA will modify this plan accordingly and communicate these changes to our candidates and stakeholders.
We are encouraging candidates to please keep their current appointments if their Prometric Testing Center is not closed on their test date. This eases the rescheduling process for those candidates who are forced to reschedule due to site closure.
As noted above, score reporting will be done multiple times during the testing window, so those candidates testing early, will receive their score reports earlier than those testing later in the window.
Please contact our office if you have any questions.
March 20, 2020
What should I do if I’m scheduled to take the NAVLE at a testing center that requires me to travel?
Candidates planning to travel an extended distance for their testing appointment should contact ICVA with any questions they may have regarding their specific circumstances.
Why do I have to take the NAVLE at a Prometric Testing Center? Can’t it just be proctored at the veterinary schools, or done on-line at home?
Prometric Testing Centers allow the NAVLE to be globally administered in a secure, proctored environment. While delivery at veterinary schools may seem like a good solution, the NAVLE isn’t designed or published for web-based testing (WBT) delivery. Updating NAVLE forms for WBT delivery would take a significant amount of time and resources -- something that would take a longer timeframe and doesn’t address the April 2020 testing window.
Why can’t ICVA create another/additional testing window before the November - December 2020 testing window?
ICVA is providing two options for candidates registered to take the NAVLE during the April testing window (see above for more detail).
Candidates can defer taking the test until the November 16 - December 12, 2020 testing window at no additional cost. Requests to defer must be received via email to email@example.com no later than 11:59 pm PDT on Monday, April 6, 2020.
For any April 2020 candidates who have not deferred, ICVA is proactivly authorizing an extension to May 31, 2020 - meaning candidates now have until that day to take the NAVLE.
Additionally, as COVID-19 precautions and guidelines continue to rapidly evolve, the ICVA is working hand-in-hand with the National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME®) and Prometric Testing Centers to make decisions regarding testing.
If I can’t take the NAVLE during the April 2020 testing window and get my license to practice veterinary medicine, will a provisional license be granted?
To clarify, ICVA provides the licensing exam, and licensing boards are the ones that determine state and provincial licensure.
As COVID-19 continues to have a far-reaching impact, ICVA will continue to work closely with state and provincial licensing boards to discuss the impact.
Where can I get the latest news about the April 2020 testing window?
We’ll continue to communicate with you through email, on our website, as well as on the ICVA LinkedIn and YouTube pages. If you aren’t already following us, now is a great time to do so. And if you have other questions in the meantime, feel free to contact us.
View Dr. Elizabeth Million's new video for a compassionate message regarding the ICVA and COVID-19.